The H6 Handy from Zoom is a portable handheld recorder and USB audio interface that features an interchangeable microphone system. The recorder includes with both XY and mid-side microphone modules, foam windscreen, 2GB SD card, four AA batteries, USB cable, Cubase LE and a hard carrying case. Optional module attachments can be purchased for expanded functionality
The H6 offers four main inputs (1-4), including two additional inputs (L, R) that are obtained from whichever capsule (X/Y, MS, Shotgun, or Dual XLR/TRS Combo) is plugged into the unit. The provided XYH-6 X/Y capsule also provides a secondary input for connecting an external mic- or line-level signal via a stereo ⅛” Mic/Line In mini phone jack. When a connection is made to that jack, signal from the X/Y microphones is muted.
All four main H6 inputs (inputs 1-4) are combo connectors which are compatible with either XLR or ¼” balanced or unbalanced phone cables. They are sufficient for both mic- and line-level signals, which means that you can connect either external microphones or line-level devices like mixers, portable music players, electronic keyboards, or electric guitars or basses with active electronics (passive electric guitars or basses can also be connected with the use of a mixer or effects device). Internal switching contacts automatically detect the circuit of choice.
The H6 Line Out is an unbalanced stereo 1/8” phone jack, located on the bottom of the H6, beneath the LCD display. It sends the analog stereo output signal, as determined by the H6’s internal mixer.The H6 USB port, found on the side panel to the right of the LCD display, provides a digital output of either a stereo mix or the six individual input signals, depending upon the setting of the “Audio Interface” function in the USB menu.
Furthermore, the H6 provides a headphone output with a dedicated volume control, located on the side panel to the left of the LCD display. Connect your headphones to its stereo 1/8” mini phone jack for personal monitoring of the stereo output signal.The H6 also has a built-in speaker, located on the rear side of the unit, for fast monophonic monitoring of the recorded signal without the need to make any connections whatsoever. This speaker is automatically disconnected when connection is made to either the Line Out or Headphone output.
The H6 has a very uniqe Pre-Record function, which silently records in the backround all the time, until you hit the record button. It then keeps the previous two seconds and adds it to the beginning of the file, so the user does not lose any recording material upon pushing the record button too late.
Backup Record Features
Backup-Record is basically the ultimate safety net. When activated during the recording of WAV files, the H6 automatically records a duplicate pair of L/R tracks, but with 12dB less input gain. Even if the original L/R track is distorted, chances are the Backup version is fine.
You can listen to either set of tracks simply by selecting the Backup File option in the PROJECT menu. When turned OFF, you will hear the original L/R tracks; when turned ON, you will hear the lower-level Backup tracks instead. Pick the one you prefer and use it as your L/R master.
Features at a Glance:
- Interchangeable input capsules that can be swapped out as easily as the lens of a camera
- Six-track simultaneous recording
- Four mic/line inputs with XLR/TRS combo connectors
- Gain controls (real knobs!) and -20dB pads for each input
- Phantom power for all main inputs: +12/+24/+48V
- Large full-color LCD display, angled so it’s easy to read in all environments
- Records directly to SD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128GB
- Up to 24-bit /96kHz audio in BWF-compliant WAV or a variety of MP3 formats
- Auto-record, Pre-record and Backup-record functions mean that you’ll never miss that perfect take
- Multitrack to stereo internal mixdown
- Independent monitor and playback mixes
- Virtual VU meters
- Voice memo and up to 99 marks per recording
- Overdubbing, up to 99 takes
- Built-in effects, including low-cut filtering, compression and limiting
- Onboard MS decoding
- Normalize, Divide and Trim editing
- Chromatic tuner and metronome
- A/B loop playback
- Variable playback speed, from 50% to 150%
- Variable pitch per track without affecting playback speed
- USB port for data exchange to and from computer
- Multichannel and stereo USB audio interface for PC/Mac/iPad
- Camera strap mounts
- Mountable directly to DSLR or camcorder with optional HS-01 Hot Shoe Mount adapter
- Accepts standard AA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries
- Over 20 hours of operation with 4 AA alkaline batteries